DIAMOND PROCESSING COURSES:
INTRODUCTION TO THE DIAMOND INDUSTRY-10 DAYS SKILLS PROGRAMME
This skills programme is an introductory skills course aimed at laying a foundation of learning in the diamond and jewellery industry. The course consists of 60% theoretical and 40% practical training. This course will serve as a background in diamond polishing with a practical component.
Full time: 2 weeks. Monday to Friday 8:00 – 15:00 with a tea time break from 10:00 – 10:15
and a lunch time break from 13:00 – 13:30.
R3, 000-00 inclusive of VAT.
- Please note that only a limited number of candidates can be accommodated.
- A 50% non-refundable deposit is payable into the Academy’s bank account to
- secure your place, please complete the application form for a reference number.
- The balance of the amount is payable before or on the day training commences.
- Fees are not refundable.
- An overview of the history of the diamond industry
- Background on the structure of the diamond processing industry
- Requirements for the security of diamonds
- Safety, health and environmental requirements in the workplace
- Overview of the shapes and applications of diamonds
- Correct handling of equipment to polish diamonds
No previous knowledge or experience in the diamond industry is necessary. A Gr.10 certificate is the minimum requirement for this course. Proficiency in English is of importance as all courses are delivered in English.
Dates of Introductory course for 2013:
Start date Monday 4th February
End date Friday 15th February
Please note that the above courses will take place only if a minimum of 10 candidates
register for each particular course.
No exam will be written but continuous assessments will be conducted. Candidates will receive a certificate of attendance from KIDJA as well as a certificate from the Mining Qualifications Authority. Candidates will be registered on the MQA I-SHARE system and credited with each successful Unit Standard (module) they complete successfully.
Registration for this course opens on the 9th of January 2013. Early application is advisable as we have limited space per course. Application forms can be obtained from the Academy. Equipment and course material:
All equipment, learning material and consumables as well as diamonds will be supplied by KIDJA but will remain the property of the Academy.
Code of conduct:
The code of conduct of the Academy must be followed at all times. Any deviation to the code of conduct and security policy and procedure will result in the candidate being expelled without a refund of course fees paid. Each candidate will receive a student card which must be worn for security purposes. No candidate will be allowed on campus without it.
Accommodation and transport:
Limited accommodation at a local school hostel is available but will be for the candidate’s cost. Candidates outside Kimberley can contact us to assist in securing accommodation but it will be for the candidate’s own cost. Transport will be for the cost of the candidate.